Friday, June 11, 2021

Has Anyone Determined the Price of Sanity and Humanity?

 Today I sit and ponder a myriad of thoughts. What next? Which protocol is in place? What is needed for my next destination? What will happen next? When can travel be done freely and safely?

My projects have dwindled in the last 6 months in one way yet magnified in another. Yes, I was a maker of masks along with two other individuals who helped tremendously. Together we created over 400 up until the middle of June. Since then I am working solo and am able to reclaim my kitchen and become a lot more creative. That helps with sanity.

For those individuals picking up masks, I adopted a contact free pickup which worked out rather well. Donations were accepted so I could continue the work. Creating for a purpose.  The Comfort and Care  Pastor of the church picked up regular Saturday deliveries of masks: 1 per family member was the standard. Am I shamed that the first were utilitarian and made with on-hand inventory of fabric and notions? Not exactly. Some of it costume remnants and others from my personal inventory; when I take the time to sew stash. They were constructed well and simply done so we could churn out the required numbers.

After the initial delivery, elastic was a nightmare to procure. I ordered from several sources and what each provider had in inventory was so different. I used it all: shoestrings, bias tape ties, elastic 1/4," 1/8," and 3/8" in width with 3/8" being my least favorite. Locating elastic that could be delivered in a reasonable time frame was nearly impossible. Two large rolls were finally delivered to me after a month (a month's time from California). Whoever advised cutting the wider elastic down, succeeded in helping me waste some of my on-hand inventory. Enough about elastic. 

Here is a peek:        Creativity calmed me so. While I built (costume wording) these masks,  

there was a sense of calm and excitement. These photos represent the styles in the inventory.

Now that I covered the adventure of mask making, I will change the subject to what I was working on prior to the pandemic, also as the pandemic approached and my current midst pandemic projects. 

                   


Mask making became more creative for a stint of a couple of months. Mostly from bandanas and custom colors. But at this point and time masks are a welcomed distant future. Here are a few examples.


So finally on to a new adventure that has to do with sustainability. This is so near and dear to my heart.

Fast fashion and the habits of manufacturing clothing and everything in general have helped to destroy the earth. I am doing my part. follow my latest travels on this journey.


This was orginally done in 2020. I intend to keep up but this has been really challenging to manage this pandemic and political outbursts. It has affected the entire temperment and attitude of the world. I will keep it light here and carry on. Be safe and stay healthy. 








No comments:

Post a Comment